Leveling a mower deck
How to Level the Deck on your Cub Cadet Rider
Throughout the mowing season, your riding lawn mower deck may be altered so that one side is higher than the other. Whether it's from getting on and off on a predominant side, bumping something in the yard or natural parts wear and tear, you'll need to readjust by leveling your mower deck. These instructions will explain how to level the mower deck on your Cub Cadet. Depending on your model, the instructions listed below may slightly vary. Always be sure to check your operator's manual for detailed instructions.
- Step 1 - Prepare to level your mower deck
Be sure your riding lawn mower is on a flat level surface and engage the parking brake. Turn off the engine and do not begin working on the machine until it is cool. Remove the ignition key and the spark plug ignition wire to avoid any accidental starts while leveling the mower deck.
- Step 2 - Adjust the deck lift lever
To level the deck from the front to rear, place the deck lift lever in the middle position.
- Step 3 - Rotate the lawn mower blades
Wearing gloves, rotate the blade closest to the discharge chute parallel to the lawn mower.
- Step 4 - Measure the height of the lawn mower blades
Measure the height of the front blade tip to the ground. Next, measure the height of the rear blade tip to the ground. Refer to your operator's manual for proper height differences between front and rear.
- Step 5 - Adjust the hex nuts to level the mower deck from front to back
Loosen the hex lock nut on the deck hanger rod. Raise the front of the deck by tightening the inner hex. Lower the front of the deck by loosening the inner hex nut.
- Step 6 - Secure the adjusted deck
Once the deck is at the proper level, tighten the lock nut to secure.
- Step 7 - Leveling your mower deck from side to side
Wearing gloves for protection, level the deck from side to side by rotating the blades perpendicular to the lawn mower.
- Step 8 - Measure the height of the blade tips again
Measure the height of the blade tips on each side of the deck from the ground.
- Step 9 - Adjust the deck by loosening the hex bolt
Raise or lower the deck by loosening the hex bolt on the left hangar bracket.
- Step 10 - Tighten hex bolt to secure deck adjustment
When both blade tips have the same measurement from the ground, tighten the hex bolt.
- Step 11 - Reconnect the spark plug
With your level lawn mower deck, you're all set to mow. Simple reconnect the spark plug's ignition wire, insert the key and you're ready to go!